Apply for an Address
New residences or businesses can apply online for an address sign using the Bayfield County Address Application. Pay with a credit card, by mailing a check, or even delivering your payment to the Land Records Department. Additionally, a Paper Form Address Application (PDF) can also be submitted.
THE FOLLOWING SERVICES ARE INCLUDED WITH THE COST OF AN ADDRESS APPLICATION:
- Processing applications
- Assigning a number within the proper sequence and along the correct access road
- Calling Diggers Hotline for a safe sign installation
- Adding addresses to the GIS Web Map, Novus tax database, and 911 dispatch system for emergency response
- Notifying the post office and other entities
- Ordering the metal sign, fence post, and bolts to ensure proper address visibility in accordance with the ordinance
- Conducting a site visit to ensure proper address assignment, installation, and completion
REQUEST A REPLACEMENT ADDRESS SIGN
LOOKING TO CHANGE YOUR TAX MAILING ADDRESS?
COUNTYWIDE ADDRESS SYSTEM ORDINANCE
In order to locate people in emergency situations and to facilitate rural postal delivery, every residence and place of business in Bayfield County (except the Cities of Washburn and Bayfield) has been assigned a county address. This address is made up of two parts: an address number and a road name. The site address will provide the necessary information to pinpoint a location on a map.
The address number is a four or five digit number based on a grid of 1,000 numbers per mile. The grid starts at the southwest corner of the county. A predominately east-west road will be numbered using the numbers on the east-west grid of 1,000 to 38,000. A predominately north-south road will be numbered using the numbers along the north-south grid of 40,000 to 96,000. Even numbers are on the north and east sides of a road; odd numbers are on the south and west sides of a road. Address numbers get larger going north and east.