Bayfield County has nearly 40 hiking trails!
Some trails are loops, some lead to waterfalls, and others are an adventure in themselves whether you’re a birder or just want to reconnect with nature.
Did you know that the North Country National Scenic Trail is the longest national scenic trail in the nation?
Here's a little more about the North Country Trail:
Bayfield County hosts 54.5 miles of the 4,600-mile North Country National Scenic Trail that stretches from North Dakota to Vermont. The trail can take you to vistas of the western Penokee Range near the Marengo River, to the pristine lakes and streams of the Porcupine Lake Wilderness and Rainbow Lake Wilderness near Drummond, and through the hills and ponds of the Ahmeek Moraine south of Iron River. Whether it's for a day hike or a week backpacking trip, you can access the trail from main trailheads at Old Grade Road, County Highway D, Two Lakes Campground, Lake Owen Picnic Area, US 63, Delta-Drummond Road, West Delta Road, and County Highway A. For maps and more information on America’s longest hiking trail, visit www.northcountrytrail.org.
Bayfield County Forestry and Parks manages the Lost Creek Falls trail and the Siskiwit Falls access.
The trail to Lost Creek Falls is nicely developed and nearly 1/4 of the 1 1/2 mile trail is now boardwalk. The total trip is around 3 miles from the trailhead parking area on Trail Road.
The Siskiwit Falls access has newly developed parking areas and new trail improvements have occurred on the trail that leads down the river to the larger falls.
Privies have now been installed at both of these locations, which are both just south of Cornucopia.
This printable list (PDF) of all the hiking trails in Bayfield County includes a map for easy reference.
Hiking Trails in Bayfield County
1. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Island Trails
2. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Mainland Trail
3. Bass Lake Interpretive Trail
4. Bayfield Waterfront Trail
5. Big Ravine Trail
6. Birch Grove Campground
7. Birkebeiner Trails
8. Brownstone Trail
9. Clayton Creek Trail
10. Drummond Ski Trails
11. Drummond Woods Trail
12. Forest Lodge Nature Trails
13. Frog Bay Tribal National Park Trails
14. Gil Larsen Nature Trail/Iron Bridge Trail
15. Horseshoe Lake Saddle Trails
16. Houghton Falls Nature Preserve Trail
17. Iron River National Fish Hatchery Trails
18. Jerry Jay Jolly/Pikes Creek Trail System
19. Lincoln Community Forest Trail
20. Long Lake Picnic Area Trail
21. Lost Creek Falls Walking Trail
22. Mount Ashwabay Recreation Area Trails
23. Namekagon Interpretive Trails
24. North Country National Scenic Trails
25. North End Trails
26. North Pikes Creek Wetlands Community Forest
27. Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center
28. Orienta Falls
29. Pikes Creek Trail (Les Voigt State Fish Hatchery)
30. Rainbow Lake Wilderness Area
31. Raspberry River Walking Trail
32. Rock Lake National Recreation Trail
33. Salmo Lake Walk Trail
34. Siskiwit Falls
35. Tomahawk Lake Park Trails
36. Tri-County Corridor
37. Twin Falls Trail
38. Valhalla Recreation Area Trails
39. Washburn Lakefront Walking Trail
- Bayfield Area Trails
- North Country National Scenic Trail (view map)
- Facebook Page for North Country Trail in Wisconsin
Also, check out our Trails "story map" with trailhead locations, photos and more!