Economic Support Services & Programs

Economic Services & LINKS

  • BadgerCare Plus is a program that provides health care coverage for eligible low-income Wisconsin residents.
  • Medicaid-Wisconsin's Medicaid provides health care coverage for those who are:
    • Age 65 or older, blind, or disabled
    • Have family income at or below the monthly program limit
    • US citizens or legal immigrants
  • Caretaker Supplement is a cash benefit available to parents who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income payments.  Find more information about this program on the "Other Programs" tab of the Department of Health Services website.
  • FoodShare Wisconsin is a program that helps eligible low-income Wisconsin residents buy the food they need for good health.  Find more information about this program and other nutrition programs including Free and Reduced School Lunches, Elderly Nutrition, Emergency Food Assistance and Women, Infants and Children (WIC) on the "Nutrition Programs" tab of the Department of Health Services website
  • Child Care-Wisconsin's Child Care Subsidy program, Wisconsin Shares, helps families pay for child care.  If the parent is eligible, child care can be subsidized for children under the age of 13 (up to 19 of special needs).
  • FoodShare Employment and Training (FSET) is a free program that helps FoodShare members build their job skills and find jobs.HE logo Opens in new window
  • Home Energy Plus helps qualified Wisconsin residents reduce energy use and costs through three offerings—the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP), the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), and the Home Energy Plus Furnace Program.
    These offerings are available statewide and are funded by the Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA), Division of Energy, Housing and Community Resources (DEHCR). Bayfield County Department of Human Services supports Home Energy Plus by providing access to these services. An informative YouTube video describes these in more detail and can be viewed by following this link: Home Energy Plus video
  • Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program(WHEAP)-The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program provides assistance with home heating costs, electric costs, and in some energy crisis situations. The program is administered by the State of Wisconsin Department of Administration. 
    • Heating Assistance- WHEAP assistance is a one-time payment during the heating season (October 1-May 15). The funding pays a portion of the heating costs, but the payment is not intended to cover the entire cost of heating a residence. The amount of the energy assistance benefit varies depending on a variety of factors, including the household’s size, income, and energy costs.  In most cases the energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the household energy supplier.
    • Furnace Assistance- WHEAP emergency heating system assistance may provide services to eligible homeowners if the furnace or boiler stops operating, or is unsafe to operate, during the heating season (October 1-May 15).   Heating system assistance may include payment for repairs, or in some situations your residence may qualify for a total replacement of a non-operating furnace or boiler. Call our local office immediately at (715)-373-6144 if you are experiencing a no heat situation. If you are calling outside of regular business hours, then please listen to the recorded message for additional contact information. 
    • Crisis Assistance- A household may be eligible for crisis assistance if you have no heat, have received a disconnect notice from the heating vendor, or are nearly out of fuel and do not have the money to purchase more. Crisis assistance is available through our office and our phone message will provide a 24-hour crisis phone number to help with emergencies that occur after business hours. Crisis assistance is intended to provide emergency and/or preventive services to assist eligible households experiencing an energy crisis. 
    • Wisconsin Weatherization Assistance Program-The Weatherization program helps homeowners and renters reduce energy consumption while increasing comfort in their homes. Weatherization improvements may also make your home environment healthier and safer. Improvements are installed by our local weatherization agency. If your residence qualifies for weatherization services, you may receive one or more of the following energy efficiency measures: insulation, sealing air leaks, heating system update, and energy savings products.


Description automatically generated

The Home Energy Plus Program uses a previous one month income test which is annualized to determine program income eligibility.

There are four ways to apply:

  1. Call our statewide Customer Care Center at 1-800-506-5596 to complete an on demand application.
  2. Apply online on the HE+ Online Application Portal at
  3. Call us to request a paper application form at (715) 373-6144 or toll free at 888-717-9700.
  4. Call us to schedule a phone or in person interview with a Bayfield County Energy Intake Worker at (715) 373-6144 or toll free at 888-717-9700

 Find more information on the State of Wisconsin, Division of Entergy, Housing, and Community Resources page

Northern Income Maintenance Consortium

Bayfield County is proud to be a member of the Northern Income Maintenance (IM) Consortium. Most assistance programs, except FoodShare Employment and Training (FSET) Case Management and the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP), are administered as part of the Northern Income Maintenance Consortium. This means that eligibility and benefit determinations will be managed by a team of income maintenance workers.

You can apply for these programs online, by phone, by mail, or in person at the Bayfield County office. Contact us at the Northern IM Consortium at 888-794-5722 for more information.