- Environmental Health Services
- Vacation Rentals
Guide to Starting your Vacation Rental
The State of Wisconsin requires all short term rentals to hold a lodging license. You will also need a zoning permit from Bayfield County or the local municipality. Finally, many towns collect room tax. The following steps will help guide you through the process and make sure you have everything you need to be ready to rent your property.
Step 1: Apply for a State Lodging License
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture and Consumer Trade Protection (DATCP) issues licenses for all short term rentals in the State of Wisconsin. These rentals are called "Tourist Rooming Houses". Bayfield County Health Department is the State's agent for this program and will be the department to contact to obtain your lodging license.
- Wisconsin State Lodging Code ATCP 72. for short term rentals and ATCP 73 for Bed and Breakfast Establishments
- Bayfield County Health Department Lodging License Application.
- Lodging License Checklist
- Short Term Rental Guide - Pamphlet from Wisconsin Lodging Association, DATCP and WI Municipalities.
Step 2: Apply for a Local Zoning Permit
Most areas in Bayfield County require a Special Use A or Conditional Use permit from the Bayfield County Planning and Zoning Department. If you are in a city or town that has its own zoning department, such as City of Bayfield or City of Washburn you will need to get a zoning permit from your City Zoning Department.
- Bayfield County Planning and Zoning Permit Application
- Bayfield County Planning and Zoning ordinance
- Fee Schedule
- City of Bayfield requires a permit for nightly or short term rentals. Contact the City for more information.
- City of Washburn requires a conditional use permit for nightly rentals in residential districts. Contact the City of Washburn Zoning Administrator for more information.
STEP 3: Local town permits and SIGN UP FOR ROOM TAX
Several local municipalities require their own permits for a vacation rental and some charge separate room tax. Visit your local municipality website or call your local town clerk to determine room tax and other municipality permitting.
- Municipalities in Bayfield County
STEP 4: ADVERTISE!
Bayfield County Tourism will add all licensed rentals to their local businesses website. You can also advertise through your local chamber of commerce.
- Bayfield County Tourism Resources for Businesses
- Bayfield Chamber of Commerce
- Washburn Chamber of Commerce
- Cable Area Chamber of Commerce
- Iron River Area Chamber of Commerce
- Eau Claire Lakes Business Association
- Madeline Island Chamber of Commerce