How do I request military records?

The U.S. Armed Forces maintain an Official Military Personnel File, or OMPF, for every veteran and service member. If you are a veteran or a member of the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air Force and are serving as active duty, reserve, or guard, or if you are retired, you can use the Defense Personnel Records Information Retrieval System page on the milConnect website to request and receive scanned copies of documents in your OMPF.

In some cases, OMPF records are not yet scanned into the DPRIS system on milConnect. To determine whether your documents are available online, what to do if they are not, and for many more details about your OMPF documents, visit the DPRIS section of the milConnect frequently asked questions page.

For OMPF records not available in milConnect, military veteran health records, or for records requests from a veteran's next of kin or a member of the public, please visit the National Archives - National Personnel Record Center, Military Personnel Records for assistance:

Link: - Military Personnel Records
Link: - Other Medical Records

Active Duty and Reserve Military Records

If you do not have a copy of your DD Form 214 or other military records and we are unable to obtain them for you, you can request a copy from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by mail or fax using Standard Form 180, or completing an online form and submitting the signature page you receive when you have completed the form.

Mailing Address - National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, Missouri 63138

Fax Number - (314) 801-9195

Wisconsin National Guard Records

You can request a copy of your Wisconsin National Guard Records by mail or fax using Standard Form 180.

Mailing Address - Wisconsin National Guard
 PO Box 8111
 Madison WI 53708-8111

Fax Number - (608) 242-3400

For more information visit the Wisconsin Department of Military affairs

Show All Answers

1. How do I request military records?
2. How do I request an upgrade of discharge characterization?
3. How do I replace lost awards and/or decorations?