Do I need a building permit?

What people generally refer to as a building permit is called a Land Use Permit in Bayfield County. All structures in Shoreland/Floodplain areas shall require a land use permit.  

A land use permit shall be required for any new residence, any building erected, relocated or structurally altered, any change in the use of the land; or where any use of the land is altered

A land use permit shall be obtained prior to the initiation of construction or a change in land use. ** If adding an attached or detached Deck(s) a land use permit is required. ** No permit shall be issued if the applicant is in violation of the Bayfield County Zoning Ordinance, Flood Plain Ordinance, Shoreland-Wetlands Zoning Ordinance, or Subdivision Control Ordinance. Setback Compliance: Non-Habitable Structure Compliance

All structures shall meet prescribed setback standards (including eaves and overhangs) for the zoning district in which they are located. All structures in shoreland or floodplain areas shall require a land use permit. 

A non-shoreland residential land use permit shall not be required for a residential accessory structure (non-habitable) of less than two hundred (200) square feet in area (does not apply to additions or alterations of a structure), or for a private communication device, if not in a floodplain. A temporary structure of more than two hundred (200) square feet shall require a temporary permit.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a building permit?
2. Is or are there any structure(s) that do not require a permit?
3. If my building is on skids, do I need a permit?
4. Must I have the actual permit in hand before I can start doing what I have applied for?
5. What attachments do I need to include with my permit application?
6. If I come to the planning and zoning office and complete my permit application will I be able to leave with my permit?
7. How long does it take to get a permit?
8. Can I Run a Business or Change the Use on my Property?
9. Can I Change or Convert the Use of my Accessory Structure?
10. When I apply for a permit will someone actually inspect the site?
11. What should I do to prepare the site for inspection?
12. Must I be present during the site inspection?
13. I am in the process of buying property and would like the land use permit in my name. How do I go about doing this?
14. I am interested in purchasing or I recently purchased a parcel of land and would like to know if it is buildable, could I have an Inspector come out to the property and do an inspection?
15. Can my contractor / agent apply for my permit?
16. What if our property is in a Trust or LLC?
17. Do I need a permit to build on my farm?